New at UWG! Students with an interest in Financial Technology (FinTech) can learn more about this industry by taking one of these introductory online FinTech courses as an elective (consult with your academic advisor to ensure the elective hours will count towards your degree). Financial Technology (FinTech) is responsible for the products and services that support financial activities like payment-processing.
Why FinTech? Georgia is a leader in the financial technology industry and the demand for FinTech experts is high. According to the TAG (Technology Association of Georgia):
- Approximately 120 FinTech companies are headquartered or have significant presence in Georgia. Six of the ten largest US payment processing firms are Georgia-based. Top Georgia FinTech companies generate annual revenues of more than $72 billion, placing us third in the nation behind only New York and California:
- Georgia FinTech organizations employ more than 37,000 professionals in the state and over 130,000 globally and process over 128 billion transactions per year representing over $5.14 trillion of purchase volume each year.
- 70% of all credit card swipes, debit card payments and gift card purchases in the U.S. go through Georgia-based companies, earning the nickname Transaction Alley.
Online FinTech courses available Spring 2021:
- FTA-4001 Foundations of Fintech
- FTA-4002 Financial Technologies
- FTA-4003 Commercial Banking in FinTech
- FTA-4005 Introduction to Financial Data Analytics
- FTA-4100 Intro to Information Security for FinTech
Important to Note
UWG FinTech courses are part of USG's eMajor program, though admitted UWG students may register for the classes in Banner just as they would any UWG course. As part of the USG eMajor program, however, different start dates, policies, and processes may apply. For example:
- Enrolled UWG students may register for FinTech courses only after completing this FinTech Academy Quiz.
- Enrolled UWG students will log in to GoView instead of CourseDen
- You may have non-UWG students enrolled in the courses with you; your instructor may be from another USG school
- The USG Collaborative Calendar details the Academic Calendar these courses will follow.
- Many textbooks are "open educational resources" - meaning that they are FREE
- To check for open seats in the courses: Go to UWG's itemized online Course Schedule, select the semester desired, look under eMajor's EM1 - eMajor Full Session category.
- To withdraw from your FinTech class, fill out the UWG eMajor Withdrawal Form.
- Additional processes and policies unique to eMajor programs (Exams & Testing, etc.) are available under the Current Students tab on the eMajor homepage.