Exams and Testing
Exams and Testing Centers
Proctored Exam Instructions for Online Students
Enrollment in some completely (95% or more online) courses involve proctored testing. If your course requires one or more proctored tests, this will be indicated in your syllabus. However, in order to get your test, you must follow these steps exactly:
- Call and sign up for a proctored test at any of the following sites. You will need to provide your name, the date in which you plan to take the test (check your syllabus or ask your instructor for acceptable dates), and the name of your instructor or course name. Please tell the testing center whether you will be taking your test on the internet through CourseDen, some other online tool, or as a written/ paper-based exam.
- The University of West Georgia Testing Center in Carrollton
Testing Official: Francie Taylor
University of West Georgia
110 Strozier Hall
Carrollton, GA 30118
Test Fee: $15 for eCore; $10 for UWG Online
- The University of West Georgia Testing Center in Newnan
Testing Official: Rebecca Smith or Teri Lewis
University of West Georgia- NEWNAN
80 Jackson Street
Newnan, GA 30263
Test Fee: $15 for eCore; $20 for UWG Online
- Any approved test sites in Georgia.
Click here for a list of approved testing sites.
- If you are outside of the state of Georgia, then please contact the
Online Testing Coordinator, Janet Gubbins (email@example.com) for assistance.
- The University of West Georgia Testing Center in Carrollton
- Complete this online form to take your test. All information must be complete. Important! The form must be submitted online no later than 2 weeks prior to your test date. Late requests will be subjected to a $30 late fee.
- Show up at the date and time of your test with your valid photo ID (driver's license or student ID) and scantrons (if needed), pencil, paper, or anything else that you are allowed to have for your test. You will also need to have cash to pay the testing center (ask ahead for the amount of their fee).
- Your test may be given through CourseDen or an alternate online tool. Make sure you have your login information.
Proctored Exam Information for Online Instructors
Your online sections may include students who do not live near Carrollton. Proctored tests can be facilitated on the campus by the instructor or department (free to students) and/or optionally provided at any approved testing site (for a fee paid to that site). Any single testing office may not be staffed or prepared to handle an influx of students all required to take an exam within the same time frame. Since a high proportion of UWG's online students may live in the Carrollton or Newnan area, it is imperative that instructors discuss their exam dates with the Carrollton and Newnan testing centers, to determine availability. If you have any questions about this process, please contact UWG Online (firstname.lastname@example.org/678-839-6248).
In order for your students to take proctored online or proctored written tests at one of our approved testing sites, detailed instructions and information on possible related testing fees should be noted in your syllabus and in the online course bulletin (Banweb) notes that are available under each course listing, before a student registers. The dates during which students may take the proctored tests should also be provided.
Depending on the approved testing site, site fees may vary (generally anywhere from $10 to $50). See the student instructions above.
Best Practices and Considerations
a. Based on what others in the USG are doing, proctored tests can be facilitated on the campus by the instructor or department (free) or optionally taken at any approved testing site (for a fee paid to that site).
b. Best practices & considerations:
- Any single testing office may not be staffed or prepared to handle an influx of students all required to take an exam within the same time frame. Since a high proportion of UWG's online students may live in the Carrollton or Newnan area - this is especially true of the Carrollton and Newnan testing centers. If you encounter difficulty when trying to schedule an appointment with a testing office, please contact UWG Online (email@example.com/678-839-6248) so that we may do our best to accommodate your needs.
- Instructor posts testing dates and options in Banner comments, before student registration begins. The same information is also provided in the course syllabus.
- For those allowing an optional off-site proctor experience, a minimum of a three day testing window (including a Saturday) is set. (Some instructors add an additional requirement that the off-site proctored experience must occur before or during the on-site proctored one).
- At least two weeks prior to the start of class, the instructor submits online proctored exam request form, notifying UWG Online of anticipated exams, dates, and specific processes to be followed. See the Instructor Exam Request Form.
- At least two weeks prior to the exam window, the student submits online proctored exam request form, notifying UWG Online of scheduled test site, exams date and time, and specific processes to be followed. See Student Exam Request Form.
- All proctored exams are either conducted online or submitted to UWG Online as a PDF that can be forwarded to the proctor via email.
- Requests for original completed exams to be returned via postal mail will put an added burden on the student who may be asked to provide the self-addressed stamped envelope to the testing center. Additionally, the turn-around on these requests is not always fast. Tests have been lost through this method.
- vConsiderations include time differences, back-up plans, support issues if the online exam is conducted in any LMS other than CourseDen (D2L)
- In cases of insurmountable technical or logistical issues, UWG Online may have to provide the exam in an alternate format. Staff may also have to adjust quiz settings, dates, or times. Instructors will always be notified of any changes.
- Communication is key. Students should perhaps be quizzed over the text dates and process, at the start of the term (UWG Online can provide a template). Instructors should provide reminders often.
- It is highly recommended that you use CourseDen's Assessment tool, if you are going to require an online exam. If instructors use any other tool, the distance education helpdesk and administrative staff may not be able to provide this testing service (get advance permission no later than two weeks prior to the first day of the course):
- We may be able to help with the scheduling of your exam but we will not be able to provide any technical support;
- The instructor alone is responsible for ensuring the alternate online host provides required security and course backups;
- The instructor alone is responsible for ensuring the integrity of the gradebook and maintaining backups.
- Complete this linked form for each test (limit two proctored online tests per course) no later than two weeks prior to the first day of the course, notifying the Distance & Distributed Education Center that you plan to offer these proctored tests. Remember, your course must be an "N" course (95% or more online) to use this service. Please note the required fields. The form will not be processed without this information.
- The information entered into this form will automatically be emailed to UWG Online's Director, Janet Gubbins. You will receive an email confirming that the server has processed this input form.
Make sure that the following is clearly stated in your syllabus:
- Students will need to sign up for their proctored exam, both through the Distance and Distributed Education Center and at an approved testing site (located throughout Georgia and other areas of the United States). The student online exam request form must be submitted online no later than 2 weeks prior to their test date.
- Students may be assessed a testing fee ($10 at University of West Georgia - but fees may be $50 or higher at other testing sites)
- Most testing centers are only open during daytime hours; normal business hours (8-5)
- Provide this link to students so that they may sign up: http://uwgonline.westga.edu/exams.php
- Please remind your students to sign up for the test at least two weeks prior to their test date. If they haven't taken the appropriate steps, a proctor will not be available for them.
- A copy of your test with an instruction sheet will be mailed or emailed to the testing centers that students signed up for.
- You will be able to access the grades through CourseDen, if you use CourseDen.
- If you have questions, please contact Janet Gubbins at the Department of Distance and Distributed Education (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 678-839-0630.
- If you need help developing your test in CourseDen or creating a password for a CourseDen test, contact David Lloyd (email@example.com) or 678-839-6248.
Proctors will be required to submit this Verification Form.