State Regulations

Are you a resident of a state other than Georgia? If so, you will not be charged out-of-state tuition if you take entirely online courses exclusively. However, all non-residents must check in with UWG Online (email, in order to ensure that UWG is allowed to enroll residents of your state.

Distance education programs in nursing, education, social work, counseling, and allied health professions, may require additional approval from separate licensing boards, depending on the state. Students that reside outside the state of Georgia who are considering a professional program should contact the appropriate Board in their state of residency prior to beginning a course of study. Below, we have made every effort to help you locate the best known contact information for the appropriate state licensing board(s).

In addition to our list below, see these examples of other collated state licensing board information sites:

Related to COVID-19 Emergency Measures

Emergency measures by some state licensing boards for some professions and state executive orders address emergency approval for conversion to online courses, program modifications, cancelations of proficiency/licensure testing, and experiential learning opportunities to assist students to move forward in their academic programs during the pandemic. Students may be offered the opportunity to participate in virtual or simulated experiential learning or may be able to obtain a temporary or provisional license in several states. The institutions providing the programs may need to seek approvals by the state boards to provide alternative instruction. It is important for the institution to review the state licensing board requirements. Some national associations of state boards have provided compiled state board emergency responses. (Source: WCET, April 30, 2020)

Suggested Professional Licensure Contacts by State

This section lists links to additional information regarding professional regulations/licensure and is organized in alphabetical order by state.