CourseDen Moves to the Cloud - Dec 21/22
CourseDen is UWG's name for our state's standard Learning Management System (LMS), powered by Desire2Learn's Brightspace. Historically, the LMS has been housed on locally-run USG Board of Regents' servers in the Atlanta area. However, the state is moving LMS hosting to the Desire2Learn's "cloud" (their multi-pronged system of servers on which most other universities across the nation are housed). One main advantage to this "move to the Cloud" is that we will get small monthly updates instead of larger ones that cannot be implemented as quickly.
In fact, CourseDen will receive 18 upgrades between now and December 20, 2018! UWG Online has set up a new Google group (email list) in order to provide weekly updates on the new tools, improvements, and other changes. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be added to this group. Key information will also be posted here.
Highlights for Upcoming Changes
Changes will not require any re-builds or content migration by Instructors, though the server will be inaccessible Dec 21 - Dec 22
- Gradebook: Feedback can be added in bulk; Instructors can lock columns and row headers
- Rubrics: More control and ease-of-use, visibility
- Discussions: Instructors can post to all groups at once
- Quizzes: Improved LaTeX editor for Math; Students' answers are auto-saved by default; Dynamic preview available in question pools
- Binder: "Send to Binder" no longer available; New recommended app for students is Brightspace Pulse
For more detailed information, view the Upcoming Changes Summary (Google Sheet).