Online Faculty Training
We offer online and face-to-face training on distance ed technologies and best practices, via our regular scheduled group training or one-on-one consultations at your convenience. If you can't find what you need, contact us to set up an appointment.
For training videos, please check out UWG|Online’s YouTube Channel
To login, use the current direct link: http://westga.view.usg.edu
Please navigate through our newly created tutorials below to prepare for the new system:
|User Progress||YouTube Video||Wimba|
UWG|Online Maintenance Schedule:
Please see the Board of Regents GeorgiaView Maintenance Schedule for the latest dates and times for scheduled maintenance downtime. GeorgiaONmyLINE programs, such as eCore®, follow the schedule for D/X site regardless of campus affiliation.
Be sure to mark these dates in your calendar so you can allocate time for completing assessments, assignments, discussions, and other course related content.
** Note - if one of the above listed tools is still active when the server goes down, you WILL be kicked off with no chance to save, submit, or complete your materials.
The following section features sevices the FDC provides for instructors. These services are useful in keeping up to date with the latest training, course development, and tools being used at UWG.
- iApollo - a Google Community used to share ideas and best practices for instructors in an online setting.
- QM Training Program - Quality Matters (QM) is an internationally recognized course review process.
- 5-Star Review - Based on QM, this review process is conducted by FDC staff and peer instructors.
- Sloan Consortium - the go-to source for everything related to online learning.
- Syllabus Resources - includes a checklist for suggested components for your syllabus.
- Online Instruction Calculator - Convert online credit hours to minutes of instruction and supporting activites.
- Policies and Procedures - everything you need to know to get started teaching online.
- UWG|Online Newsletter - highlights faculty, students, and UWG online employees that have positive or provocative things to say about online learning and teaching.
- All Supported Tools & Software - provides a full list of all tools & software that is currently being used to teach at UWG.
- Recommended Faculty Downloads - provides download links for basic software used in online learning and teaching.
The following section features recommendations of tools discovered by instructors and stadd UWG. These tools should be useful in helping you succeed as an online instructor.
Workshops | One-on-One | Virtual | By-Phone
Please register at http://goo.gl/ytHtrr.
In case you missed it before the upgrade, we do have a list of "what's new" in the various components of D2L. You can find it at http://uwgonline.westga.edu/announcements.php
Join us for our twice monthly webcasts! We fill you in on all the latest happenings in the FDC and explore the tip of the week! Join our mailing list today to hear about training opportunities first.
Learn more about individual CourseDen features, from Dropbox to Quizzes. Join us in the FDC or live from your desk, via a Google Hangout or the YouTube stream.
One-on-One in-your-office personalized training
Email us at email@example.com, or call ext. 95289, and we'll set up an appointment with you.
Dedicated departmental training
Schedule a group training for your department today! Sessions individualized to meet your department's needs are available just for the asking. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call ext. 95289
USG Maintenance Schedule - Fall 2014
Each GeorgiaVIEW server undergoes scheduled maintenance every other weekend, during which the GeorgiaVIEW service is temporarily unavailable. This routine, periodic maintenance is essential to keep GeorgiaVIEW operating smoothly. Faculty should schedule quiz and assignment submission deadlines BEFORE the maintenance period begins. (10:00pm instead of midnight) Students should plan to complete work BEFORE the maintenance begins. GeorgiaVIEW is usually returned to service 1-2 hours after maintenance begins. However, the entire window is always reserved in case additional work is necessary.
- The University System of Georgia Faculty Development Monthly Series
- Respondus Webinars and Product Training
- TurnItIn Academy schedule of webcasts
- Desire2Learn Webinar Events
updated, Nov. 21, 2014, DWS
- Approval to teach a distance course. (BOR Required Technology Information)
- Request to combine courses. (Crosslisting)
The deadline for requesting crosslisting is one week before classes start. Please use the Registrar's newly integrated Crosslisting Form found under the Faculty Services tab in MyUWG.
- Policies and Procedures
- Proctored Exams
Training Requests & Material
- D2L sandbox course
Explore all the tools of D2L. Here you can begin developing your course or test out a certain feature before adding it to your live course.
- D2L self-paced tutorial
A complete set of tutorials on every aspect of D2L. This course is found inside CourseDen.
- D2L course template
Start your online course design with this template—it already has an orientation module; several pre-built modules, each with pages for an overview, a discussion, and a dropbox/assignment.
- One-on-one training session at email@example.com, or call ext. 95289
- Set up a departmental training session at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call ext. 95289
- Place e-reserve items in CourseDen.
Items for Check-Out for UWG Faculty
QM Certification Information
5-Star Course Review
Please email Jessica Loiacono for all 5-Star course review requests.
The deadline for requesting a 5-Star course review is four weeks before the end of the semester. Click here to download the Instructor Cover Sheet. Please contact the FDC for the 5-Star Course Rubric. For more information about the 5-Star review process, please see our 5-Star course review page.
- Request for Smarthinking, online tutoring services (available for D, N, Newnan, and Douglasville courses only)
Updated, December 1, 2014, DWS
Direct Link to CourseDen:
If you are experiencing latency/bandwidth issues accessing CourseDen using a portal login (i.e. http://www.westga.edu), always try using the direct link to login to CourseDen: http://westga.view.usg.edu
See the "CourseDen (D2L)" Tab for the dates/times CourseDen will be taken down for maintenance or to see if UWG|Online reported any network latency issues
How to Login - Now using UWG ID!
You must have already registered your UWG ID at https://selfservice.westga.edu (hint = registered UWG ID accesses your UWG gmail).
Log in at http://westga.view.usg.edu and enter:
Username = your registered UWG ID username (ex. sdoe1)
Password = your registered UWG ID password (hint = it's at least 12 characters long)
Check Your Browser
Click on the following link to see if your computer and browser are compatible with CourseDen: http://www.usg.edu/usgweb/d2lchecker/
You will want to make sure that all of the checks say YES. If anything says NO, you will need to try to fix it or contact UWG|Online for help.
Blackboard Collaborate & Wimba Classroom After Hours Support
UWG|Online is happy to assist students with Blackboard Collaborate and Wimba Classroom during normal business hours (see above for contact info)
For specialized assistance with Blackboard Collaborate or Wimba after hours, contact them via the below options::
Toll Free at 1-877-382-2293 and/or http://support.blackboardcollaborate.com.
You can also access Wimba specific support documentation here: http://www.wimba.com/services/support.
The Faculty Development Center would like to remind you of the importance of maintaining a backup plan for teaching and learning in the event of a campus closure. This plan could include things like emailing your students or utilizing our learning management system in order to communicate, to share assignments, and to give class quizzes. With resources such as Courseden at your fingertips, you can easily maintain an "emergency teaching and learning area" just for your class.
Here are a few tips you may wish to consider:
- Access Banweb, download and keep a copy of your class roster and email list.
- Email your students to let them know how and where they can access your class materials (i.e. Courseden D2L).
We recommend using the "bcc" option in order to maintain student privacy.
- It is a good practice to make your students aware of an emergency plan at the start of each semester. This can help avoid confusion when or if an emergency arises.
- If you are new to Courseden and/or would like to know more about it, you can find faculty tutorials and other useful information by going to the UWG|Online website. The website can be found by going to the following URL: http://uwgonline.westga.edu/training.php.
- If you feel that your students may need tutorials as well, they can access tutorials and resources by visiting http://uwgonline.westga.edu/students.php.
- Remember, Courseden D2L can be found by going to https://westga.view.usg.edu/.
If you do not know your password, just click "Forgot Password," and the system will email a password reset link to you.
If you have questions regarding how to utilize Courseden D2L as a backup learning area, please feel free to email the Faculty Success Team at email@example.com or give us a call at 678-839-5289.